Roma's programs have changed for another Covid-19 summer. Social Distanceing is a requirement and all Covid-19 protocals are followed
The Roma Site is a secluded, quiet, picturesque spot tucked away in an historic PEI location where you can wander the grounds and browse the signage explaining the historical significance of the Jean Pierre Roma era (1732-1745) and the Macdonald era of the 1800s ... check out our collection of artifacts unearthed at the Site in the 1970s. We serve an Heritage Lunch every day and Afternoon Tea. Roma Bread, our speciality baked on Site, is served with Lunch & Tea. New this summer is oven fired pizza served on Friday
Roma bread is tasty and popular ...
it's served with all meals at the Site and
it's sold everyday at the Roma
Banquets and Weddings are marvelous at Roma ...
the Roma Site can be rented for private events such as weddings and business events ... click for details ...
Video 1 was produced by TRAVEL WORLD ONLINE ... it features the Roma Site and its summer Guides ... the text is German but Google Chrome does a nice rough translation ...
Roma monument 2015
Video 2 produced in 2012 features the
Roma Heritage Lunch and
marvelous views of the Site ...
Jean Pierre Roma, a visionary French businessman, sailed three boats to the future Roma Site in June 1732. Roma and his men set to work and within a few years his crew had cleared 200 acres and had constructed nine buildings as part of Roma's plan … an international trade centre.
Jean Pierre Roma National Historic Site of Canada
Roma's boats transported dried cod, trade goods and alcohol along a network between France, the West Indies, Fortress Louisbourg and Quebec. And Roma's crew constructed many of PEI's first roads connecting his Site with St Peters Bay and Port La Joye and many other locations.
Roma's Site lasted only 13 years when in July 1745 it was burned to the ground by British Privateers.
275 years have passed since the burning and sacking of Roma's Settlement in 1745. In recognation of this sad event, we planned a Festival named the Great Escape of 1745. Because of Covid -19 the Festival has been postponed to 2021
Roma Decendents Reunion
at Great Escape Festival
Thanks to ISLAND TRAILS and Roma volunteers, Hurrican Dorian damage has been cleaned up!!
- Walk where French merchant Jean Pierre Roma carved a trading company out of the dense Acadian forest in the 1700s.
- See where three Canadian Heritage Rivers meet.
- Look for signs of a tunnel built by Roma to bring goods at water level from the tall ships to his Company House.
Enjoy nature at the Jean Pierre Roma National Historic Site.
- Discover flowering woodland plants and shrubs.
OPEN ... July 1, 2021 to September 24, 2021
By Domenick d'Andrea and Rick Reeves -
Fall of Roma's Settlement
After the first fall of Louisbourg, British commander William Pepperrell sent an expedition against Ile Saint Jean in July 1745.
This force divided, one part going to Three Rivers, the other to Port-La-Joye.
At Three Rivers Jean Pierre Roma and servants did not give any resistance because they only had one six pound cannon to mount a defence.
Roma, along with his son and daughter escaped into the woods where they witnessed the New Englanders burn the village. The family then probably escaped to Saint Peters (PEI) and then went on to Quebec, remaining there until the end of the war.
The Siege of Louisbourg took place in 1745 when a New England colonial force aided by a British fleet captured Louisbourg, under the Command of
History behind the "GREAT ESCAPE"'
William Pepperrell, an American merchant and soldier, widely remembered for organizing, financing, and leading the 1745 expedition that captured the French garrison at Fortress Louisbourg during King George's War. During hs day he was called the" hero of Louisbourg"
On June 19th, 2020 Frank Korvemaker emailed Roma; "So, tomorrow marks the darkest day at the Roma Site - unless you happen to be an archaeologist, and get the opportunity and the honour 223 years later of discovering the buried fragile remains of the French fishing settlement that Jean Pierre Roma and his entourage established in 1732, and carefully nurtured until the New England privateers pillaged and sacked the village in 1745, thereby eradicating a marvellous pioneer dream. But, had the site developed into a permanent thriving community, those archaeological remains would likely have been obliterated well over a century ago. So, every cloud does have a silver lining.
Frank Korvemaker: Archivist / Construction Historian
unearthed Roma's artifacts in late 1960s
I see you had a special ceremony planned for this summer, but, like the privateers, The Evil Virus came by unexpectedly and ruined all the hope and expectations for these commemorative activities."